The Slow Food Movement:
- Celebrates untainted regional foods and encourages connections between farmers who resist industrialization and their consumers who care about the provenance of their food.
- It is an idea, a way of living, and a way of eating.
- It is a global, grassroots movement with thousands of members around the world that links the pleasure of food with a commitment to community and the environment.
Slow Food USA:
- There are more than 250,000 supporters, 25,000 members and 225 Slow Food USA chapters across the country
- Each chapter promotes clean, healthy, local foods as well as the farmers and the producers behind them.
Slow Food Baton Rouge:
- With a culture centered around food, its rich agricultural history, and year round growing season, south Louisiana is a perfect place for a Slow Food chapter!
- Slow Food BR began in 2009 with a handful of likeminded people.
- Past events included: Film showings, farm tours, farm-to-table dinners, chef showcases, monthly local socials, urban agriculture workshops, Cooking Matters courses, a student- and volunteer-run urban farm in downtown, and Greauxing Healthy Baton Rouge, a rapidly growing farm-to-school program
- As of 2019, we have a four member board of local food educators, advocates, and professionals, plus volunteers.
- Funding comes from individual contributions and from grant sources. Please consider contributing in order to expand our programming.